Personally I love on-line shopping. Of course I love shopping in stores too, but I don’t always have time to go from store to store looking for a particular item. I find on-line shopping sooo easy as I can order exactly what I want in the colors and or sizes I need.
However I really resent paying for shipping! Why? Well the way I see it is that I am saving the retailer a whole lot of money. They don’t need a store front or sales people as a bricks and mortar retailer does. Or if they are a bricks and mortar retailer, they don’t need as large a retail space or as many sales people. I believe they should be passing these savings onto me in the form of free shipping, or shipping at greatly reduced prices as L.L. Bean does.
It turns out that I am not alone in my attitude. According to a study done by UPS and comScore, UPS Pulse of the Online Shopper, 68% of survey respondents said that free shipping the number one factor in recommending an on line retailer. Conversely, 59% said that shipping costs being too high compared to the item’s purchase price led them to giving negative recommendations. Shipping costs also play a large role in shopping cart abandonment – I know this is true for me! 88% of online shoppers said they have abandoned a cart due to high shipping costs, (up from 81% last year). 76% of respondents overall stated that free shipping options were the most important factor in the check-out process.
Cashing in on Halloween
Have you noticed how people are now decorating their houses with orange lights in October and how Halloween cards and candy show up earlier and in greater quantity?
Halloween is becoming a major holiday!
It turns out that Halloween spending as been steadily increasing since 2004, and not just on kids. We now spend $2.9 billion on costumes (many of those for adults), $2.4 billion on decorations $2.3 billion on candy and $59 million on greeting cards.
Even with all this spending, Halloween is an inexpensive holiday compared with Christmas, Easter or Valentine's Day, as Halloween doesn't involve gifts (besides bags of candy) or big family meals!
And, it comes as no surprise that this year, Big Bird costumes were a big hit! HalloweenCostumes.com sold out of their Big Bird costumes within 3 days of the first presidential debate, and Google searches for "big bird costume" jumped 600% following the debate!
I don't remember where I found this, but it is worth sharing
If 99.9% is good enough then...
- 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily
- 114,500 mismatched pairs of shoes would be shipped a year
- 18,322 pieces of mail would be mishandled per hour
- 2,000,000 documents will be lost by the IRS this year
- 2.5 million books will be shipped with the wrong covers
- 2 planes landing at Chicago O'Hare airport will be unsafe every day
- 315 entries in Webster's Dictionary will be misspelled
- 20,000 incorrect drug prescriptions will be written this year
- 880,000 credit cards in circulation will have incorrect card holder information
- 5.5 million cases of soft drinks will be flat
- 291 pacemaker operations will be performed incorrectly
- 3,056 copies of tomorrow's Wall Street Journal will be missing one of three sections
- This list will have one spelling erro.